Mineral vs Peat
“Sod is sod” is what’s often said when we ask customers if they know the difference between mineral and peat sod. Well, actually not all sod is the same. Seed variety in Manitoba is more often than not Kentucky Bluegrass, but the ground in which the seed is grown on is what makes the difference. The two varieties available on the market are mineral & peat (in Manitoba).
Let’s break down the pros and cons of both:
- Retains moisture very well
- Less long term maintenance
- Pet & kid friendly
- Low susceptibility to pests/diseases
- High tolerance level to drought & neglect
- Meant for medium-high traffic areas
- Harder to achieve dark green grass
- Slightly longer root time
- Easier to achieve dark green grass
- Pillow feel when walking on it
- Meant for low traffic areas
- Very high maintenance
- Very susceptible to droughts/neglect
- Not very pet & kid friendly (can deteriorate with footsteps)
- Maintains moisture poorly
Peat is usually known as the “show class sod”, and mineral is usually known as the “working class sod”
What sod is better for you is simply down to preference. Talk to friends & family who have sodded before and ask what their experience was, talk to experts, better yet, come visit our farm and see for yourself, and make sure the decision is right for you. After all, the sod you lay can make or break your property!
So don’t forget, when inquiring into sod, ask if it’s peat or mineral.
WARNING: If mineral sod is laid on peat soil and vice versa, you get what’s called a perched water table, which won’t allow the water to properly drain after big rains. This is key to successfully sodding, and if done incorrectly could cause issues.
Fun Fact: The City Of Winnipeg only uses & allows mineral sod for their projects!
If you have any further questions or concerns, please call us! We love discussing sod!
Lach Sod Farms supplies a high quality Kentucky Bluegrass sod, grown on mineral soil base(present in Winnipeg and surrounding areas). By providing a well-suited sod base, Lach Sod will root quickly and with ease into the existing soil conditions of your project.
We grow a blend of a minimum of 4 different varieties of Bluegrass to improve adaptability and allow the sod to flourish. The varieties are selected for:
- A quick spring green-up
- A lush dark green summer colour
- A soft, thick grass
- An extended dark green fall colour
- Good resistance to diseases
- Ability to adjust easily to various soil types
Sod can be purchased in 10 foot square rolls or 1.1 square yard piece. Please contact us to place your order.